Matching Restaurantology Logs to Salesforce Accounts
Updated over a week ago
Each month, Restaurantology inserts thousands of Restaurantology Logs, which are firmographic and technographic “insight snapshots” for each Concept and Company managed via our proprietary technology. These Logs will help track crucial updates in the industry, such as changes in unit counts or the discovery of new software fingerprints.
Why is this important?
Restaurantology can be used to drive automation, such as automated field updates via Salesforce triggers and subsequent workflows, that help keep your database clean without manual data entry. To do so, you should strive to match all Restaurantology Logs to a corresponding Salesforce Account in a 1:1 fashion.
A bit of background information
Before each Restaurantology Log is inserted during the monthly snapshot sync, the Restaurantology Log > Restaurantology Internal ID is used to search for the Salesforce Account with the same value, and then automaically assigns the Restaurantology Log > Account with the proper Account ID. For this to happen, the Restaurantology Internal ID must be found on a Salesforce Account record.
There are 2 possible results during the insert process:
- The Restaurantology Internal ID is found on an Account and, thus, the Restaurantology Log is inserted with a related Account, or
- The Restaurantology Internal ID is not found on an Account. The Restaurantology Log is inserted without a related Account.
In instances where no Account is found and matched, you’ll want to work to resolve by either  matching the Restaurantology Log to an existing Account using one of the 3 steps below, or  creating a new Account and then following one of the 3 steps below to Associate the Account with its Restaurantology Log(s).
How to match a Restaurantology Log to an existing Salesforce Account
There are a variety of ways to associate a Restaurantology Log to its Salesforce Account counterpart.
1. Manually update the Account > Restaurantology Internal ID field
Users and admins can manually insert an Account > Restaurantology Internal ID by copy and pasting the value, likely referenced from the Restaurantology Log > Restaurantology Internal ID field you wish to match.
To manually insert an ID, make sure:
- Your Salesforce Profile has the correct read/write field permissions, and
- The Restaurantology Internal ID has been added to the Account page layout
Important: manually inserting a Restaurantology Internal ID will not automatically sync existing Restaurantology Logs to the newly-connected Account. All future Restaurantology Logs will be inserted with the correct relationship.
2. Use the Account Restaurantology Visualforce widget
Users and admins can connect a Salesforce Account to a Restaurantology profile using the Visualforce widget, after which all future Restaurantology Logs will automatically be assigned with the Account.
To use the Visualforce widget, make sure:
- Your Salesforce Profile has the correct object and field permissions, and
- The Visualforce widget has been added to the Account page layout
Important: this is the preferred method for connecting an Account to a Restaurantology Log, as it  updates the Account > Restaurantology Internal ID field, and  performs an automated update to any/all existing Restaurantology Logs with the same ID to associate all previous Logs with the newly connected Account.
3. Perform a mass import of Restaurantology IDs on Account records
If you are a Salesforce admin, you can perform an update to the Account > Restaurantology Internal ID field en masse using the Data Import Wizard or Data Loader. Note that you will need to externally match the Restaurantology Logs to Accounts, perhaps in Excel, using a variety of variables to work towards a confident match.
These variables could include:
- A fuzzy match between Account Name and Restaurantology Name
- Account > Website and Restaurantology Log > Restaurantology Website
- Any subsequent custom fields on your Account Object, such as:
- Service Type
- Location Count
- Trading Area
- Account Parent
Important: as with manually inserting a Restaurantology Internal ID, performing a mass update to the Account > Restaurantology Internal ID field will not automatically sync existing Restaurantology Logs to the newly-connected Account. A separate mass import associating the Account: Salesforce.com ID value to the Restaurantology Log > Account field will need to be performed to reconcile any historical records that need mapping.